Lash Health 101:
If the eyes are the window to the soul, then eyelashes are the curtains—they’re definitely functional (keeping dirt and debris away from your gorgeous peepers,) but they can also be a beautiful way to enhance a whole look.
Lashes are a classic symbol of youth and beauty, but many of us don’t prioritize caring for them, which can be a huge mistake.
Read on for our guide for making the most of your lashes—from great eyelash hygiene to tips for optimum lash health to easy ways to enhance the length and strength of your natural lashes.
Keep it clean
Though your lashes may be small, they can hold on to a lot of debris if you aren’t careful, which can lead to harmful eye conditions and enhanced signs of aging. One of the most important things you can do to properly care for your lashes is to keep them clean.
Here are a few tips for cleaning your lashes:
- Always use a gentle hand when cleansing, especially around your eyes, to help prevent wrinkles caused by aggressive rubbing on delicate skin.
- Remove waterproof mascara with an oil-based make-up remover; gently hold a cleansing cotton pad or cleansing cloth over the eyelid for about 30 seconds to loosen the mascara, and then softly swipe away the excess product.
- If you have eyelash extensions, be sure to add a proper lash cleanser to your routine to help keep pH levels balanced and keep bacteria at bay.
- Use pH balanced soaps and cleansers. Alcohol-based or non-pH-balanced cleansers may irritate the delicate hair follicles that grow your lashes, slowing or stopping lash growth and leading to shorter, stubby lashes.
Makeover your make-up routine
As much as you may love watching YouTube tutorials for tips on how to achieve a cool new look, it’s just as important to make sure you’re using your eye makeup for optimal lash health.
- Try to apply mascara just to the tips of your lashes—wiggling a mascara wand from root to tip can be abrasive and lead to possible tearing and breakage of your lashes.
- Toss your mascara every three months. Seriously. Set a calendar reminder in your smartphone so you don’t have to do the math, but a tube of mascara really shouldn’t stay on your vanity forever. As mascara dries out over time, it’s more likely to tear your lashes. Used mascara also accumulates bacteria—toss it every quarter to reduce your risk of eye infections.
Well it may seem obvious to wash your face before bed, there are definitely times when it might feel tempting to hit the sheets without a proper cleanse. Big mistake!
Removing make-up and cleansing your skin at night can help reduce premature aging, while also helping to keep your skin and lashes healthy by removing debris, pollution and bacteria.
Habitual sleeping in eye make-up can clog the tiny hair follicles and oil glands on our eyelids—leading to inflammation and small bumps like styes or hordeolums. These conditions don’t just look uncomfortable; they may also require a doctor’s attention.
Condition and moisturize
You condition your locks, you moisturize your skin… but do you care for your lashes?
Adding a nutrient-rich lash serum like Mojé Eyelash Serum to your daily routine is a smart way to show your lashes (and brows) some love: Hypoallergenic and formulated with a combination of vitamins, strengthening peptides, amino acids and biotin to help strengthen the hair follicle, Mojé helps encourage stronger, thicker lashes.
Want to try adding Mojé Eyelash Serum to your routine? Click here to purchase.